Knox Church has been an anchoring presence at the corner of 48th and Lyndale in South Minneapolis for more than 100 years. Knox’s founders first met in 1907, spreading the Gospel from a tent at the corner of 43rd and Wentworth Ave. As worship services grew, they moved to a two-room chapel at 42nd and Pillsbury Ave. Knox was formally known as a Presbyterian congregation in 1909 and in that year, named Knox Presbyterian Church. In 1913, the chapel was moved by horses and wagon to its present location at 4747 Lyndale Ave. So.
Knox Church has grown since those humble beginnings, continuing to build on its foundations of faith in Christ, worship and Christian education. Classrooms were added to the original sanctuary in 1920, the sanctuary basement was completed in 1948, a new sanctuary was built in 1954, an education wing was added in 1959, and a new entrance and elevator were built in the1980’s. In 2004, our congregation embarked on a fund-raising and faith-raising venture for ministry expansion and major renovations which were completed in 2007.
But a church is more than just bricks and mortar; it is the people. Knox Church was established and has grown as a congregation that loves and worships Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, and one that studies, teaches and seeks to follow the Bible. This is as true today as it was when we began. Knox Church: Christ-centered and Bible-based.